If time is money and you have more time, Do you need more money?

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Deep Bay D1 & D2

Day one:  After giving Burdine's $88 for fuel and a nice little sail from Boot Key Harbor we rounded the tiny key at Bahia Honda and sailed through the open bridge span.  Then all that nature and man made stuff to starboard blocked the light breeze and we motored past the swim area and tried to set the anchor.  Da Da the second try is all hooked up.  The first one was a good hook full of ancient coral mud and grass.

The long sail around the key

Bahia Honda has hooked up the long range WIFI!  There is a full signal in the anchorage! Look for the obvious, bhlongrange.  We use a BadBoy WIFI but some computers may be  able to pick it up without an external.  So Captain "K"... that means the "office" has internet now!

The Fisher King got to snorkel finally on day one.

We didn't catch anything worth keeping during our fishing time.  There is a significant amount of grass floating around this year making some of our fishing just winding in weeds.

 Practice, practice, practice

 Sunset day one

Day two:  Started out a little late today.  The Fisher King must have been tired he woke up after 10 and still acted tired.  School day so he isn't thrilled anyway.  After fighting a little over the school day and what he was going to wear while snorkeling I finally filled him in on the surprise.

Aeriel of Looe Key

"It was Feb. 2, 1744, when Capt. Utting came upon a suspicious-looking ship flying the French flag near Cuba. It is not clear what " suspicious " means, perhaps what was suspicious were some of the dark-skinned " Frenchmen " sailing the vessel. Utting gave orders to chase the vessel down and when his marines boarded the ship, something caught the captain’s attention. One of the men aboard the French ship was observed tossing papers overboard. The crew of the Loo was quick to scoop the contraband out of the water and when Capt. Utting read the papers, it was discovered that while the vessel was indeed flying French flags, the ship was the captured English merchant vessel Billander Betty. Furthermore, the ship was being used by the Spanish.

Capt. Utting took control of the vessel and began towing it back to Charleston. On night two of the trip, the H.M.S. Loo sailed past Cayo Hueso (Key West). Every half hour the crew dropped a sounding line to mark the water depth and around midnight, on Feb. 4, satisfied with the safety of the ship, Capt. Utting went below deck to his quarters. About an hour later, the men on watch suddenly saw waves breaking over a shallow reef system. An alarm was sounded and evasive actions were taken, but the rudder struck the reef, broke off, and the ship, unable to steer, was pounded by swells and beaten against the coral beds. She was sinking — and sinking fast. To make matters worse, a few minutes later the Billander Betty crashed behind her."  If you want the whole story it was taken from here

the Fisher King goes in
His first large cuda

Sea Fans
More Barracuda 

now he goes out, wishing he could have brought his spear
Of course his charming disposition gets him time running the charter boat with 49 aboard.
     I missed the Nurse Shark (not our pic) he and others saw, and also the Goliath grouper he saw.  
We both missed the Moray Eel some saw

Sunset day two.  Go take time today to watch the sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment